There’s only one way to cut the cord, and that’s to get free HDTV with a TV antenna. That said, cord-cutters have other viewing options to help create the most complete cord-cutting experience.
Do you think of TV antennas are a thing of the past? You might be surprised to learn that these devices deliver high-quality digital TV signal. While broadcast TV content varies by media market, the biggest benefits of using a TV antenna remain the same:
- It’s a one-time purchase. You buy a TV antenna, mount it to your home, then wire it into your house. There are no more bills after that, unlike cable TV.
- The TV programming content is free. In 1934, the government classified broadcast spectrum as a public trust. This meant all local TV stations must broadcast these channels as a public service. If you want to watch free TV, all you have to do is pay for is your TV set and antenna.
- TV antenna broadcast quality is better than cable TV. Cable companies reprocess the antenna-based signal to fit more channels onto a single wire. Decompressing, processing, and re-compressing digital signal affects its quality. Signals received through a TV antenna keep a pristine quality level. You can expect primary channel broadcast quality to be 720p or 1080i, and sub-channels to be broadcast at either 480p or 720p. While cable TV broadcasts at the same resolution, the quality will not be as clear due to the reprocessing.
Because satellite TV is subscription-based, it’s not considered true cord-cutting. Even so, we recommend DIRECTV viewing packages to many cord-cutters, especially those who love watching professional sports teams. Here are some of satellite TV’s benefits:
- Satellite TV offers the widest variety of channels across the country. Pick the package you want then sit back and enjoy.
- It offers high quality reception that far surpasses cable.
- You can have satellite TV in your home, business, boat, RV, and nearly anywhere else.
- It’s portable! If you’re planning to move, you can take your satellite dish, receiver, and other equipment with you, then reconnect at your new home. You can’t do that with cable.
Like satellite TV, streaming isn’t considered true cord-cutting. It remains popular with many cord cutters, however, because streaming complements a TV antenna. It delivers programs over the Internet while you watch on your TV, computer, laptop, tablet, or phone. Most DIRECTV packages include a streaming option. There are many great reasons to consider this option, including:
- Many networks and sports affiliations offer streaming services. Watch as many shows, games, and programs as you want while paying for just one service.
- A short wait for downloads. If you’re using a newer TV or tablet/laptop/cellular phone, you can start watching your selection with about three seconds after loading it.
- Get all your favorite programs at once with minimal or no commercial interruption, depending upon the streaming service you choose.
- It's great for binge watchers who like to watch entire seasons in one stretch.
If You’re Ready to Cut the Cord…
If you’re considering cutting the cord, pick up the phone and call us at 877.312.4547. Solid Signal is the premier destination for anyone who wants to free themselves from costly cable TV bills. And if you want to add satellite TV or streaming to your TV antenna, we can help with that, too. We’re the best place to start when you’re ready to cut the cord.